Monday, July 20, 2009

A Response from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services about My Grandfather

After a three month wait, I finally received word from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services about my grandpa. The letter reads:

Dear Miss Rafferty:

Your index search request was received in this off on 4/18/2009 regarding Carmelo Orlando, born about July 16, 1887, in Italy. We have completed our search for records based on the information you provided, but did not locate any. While you are always free to request another search for this immigrant, for an additional fee, without new information one could not expect any different result.

If you need a certification of non existence of a naturalization record for the above immigrant, write to the following address (include a copy of this letter):

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn. Records Operations Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, D.C. 20529-2204

If you can provide new or different information about this immigrant and want to pursue another search, please submit a new search request for an additional fee of $20. The requirements for filing are available at our website, http://www.uscis.gov/.

Question

1. How will the Italian Consulate respond to the fact that I have a certification of non existence? Does that letter pretty much indicate to them that my grandfather never became a citizen? Or do they look at that letter with more scrutiny?


Finally it seems I have some sort of answer. At least enough of an answer that I can proceed with this process. An Italian passport just seems too far away from my reality right now, but I am going to forge ahead since everything seems to indicate that I am still elligible to become an Italian citizen.

4 comments:

  1. Ma sei proprio sicura di volere un passaporto italiano proprio adesso? Con l'aria che tira in Italia? O è forse perché vuoi votare alle prossime elezioni per cercare di toglierci dai piedi il mister?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer
    I just walked in the door after a two hour horrific experience at the USCIS in Boston. I too,was directed by the Italian Consulate to obtain a certification of non-naturalization for my own grandfather who was born in Italy in 1888. I am also looking to obtain dual citizenship. They gave me this crazy form and an incorrect address to send it to. I will direct my request to the Washington D.C. office.
    Your letter was the most help that I received all day.
    Thanks,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad the letter was helpful to you, Donna. Keep us posted on your progress with getting your Italian citizenship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the same situation and recently sent in my request for "certification of non existence" to this same address. Make sure you include copies of any official documents you may have, birth, death marriage certificates and draw a timeline for your grandfather. Also include contact information with several options, phone mobile, email.

    BTW, have you found someone who will do your official translations and affixing of the stamp for all your documents?

    best of luck,
    Gerard Gibbs
    my grandfather was Gaetano Sacco from Naples

    ReplyDelete

Circolo Calabrese