Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Weeding Out the Wrong Carmelos

So, these are two pages worth of Carmelo Orlandos who came to the United States from Italy in the mid to late 1800s tothe early 1900s. To start my search, I went to http://www.ellisisland.org/ and I entered my grandfather's name with some approximate dates of birth and death.

After that, I looked at the town or birth origin and I googled each town to see which ones are in Calabria. There are only two: one from Curinga and the other from Gerace. Since both of these Carmelos are relatively close in age, I need to look more closely at other information on the ship manifest. As I mentioned in previous postings, there were two pieces of evidence that pointed me towards Curinga, and not Gerace.

  • Carmelo from Curinga had a final destination of Wilkes-Barre, PA
  • Carmelo from Curinga had a father by the name of Bruno

Wilkes-Barre happens to be the town where my grandfather got married, had three children, and died.

Bruno happens to be the name of my uncle, Carmelo's oldest son. There is a tradition of naming your first born after your father in Italian culture.

Not shown here is my grandfather's WWI Draft Card. He registered for the draft, as an alien, in Wilkes-Barre, PA in 1917, seven years after he arrived to Wilkes-Barre. That document confirms he was born in Curinga, so it was the same Carmelo on the ship manifest. The Carmelo from Curinga who had a final destination of Wilkes-Barre, PA.

It seems like he was pretty loyal to Wilkes-Barre, PA. He got off the ship, he went to the town, he registered for the draft, he got married there, he had three children there, and he died there. Can someone tell me you agree with me that this seems to be the likely guy?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Circolo Calabrese